2019 is Here

By Jon Fass
Posted: Thursday, August, 29, 2019  7:25 am

Happy New Year!

When Boonton plays host to Kearny at 4:00 pm, New Jersey’s 2019 high school football season will officially be underway   Two hours later, Paramus Catholic will get in on the act too, taking on West Catholic (PA) at 6:00 pm.

There are eight games being played on Friday, and another six on Saturday to round out what is called Week 00.

DePaul/Pope John, Pleasantville/Salem and Cedar Creek/Willingboro are among the intrastate matchups on Friday, while a tasty triple-header at the Rumble on the Raritan headlines Saturday's action.

And of course, some of New Jersey's best will take on some of the country's best.  The Dan Sabella era at Don Bosco Prep begins on Saturday night with a trip to the West Coast as the Ironmen take on St. John Bosco (CA), the 4th ranked team in USA Today's Super 25.

Unfortunately though, Bergen Catholic, won't have its opportunity to knock off the top-ranked team in the country.  With Dorian bearing down on Florida and a state of emergency declared, the Crusaders have cancelled their trip to Fort Lauderdale, where they were scheduled to battle St. Thomas Aquinas (FL).

As has often been the case of late, a new season brings new changes to the New Jersey high school football landscape.

The United Power Ranking is back, but it has been tweaked.  Power points will account for 40% of the UPR, but the Born Power Index, which had accounted for the other 60%, has been replaced by Opponent’s Strength Index.

We will not only update power points, OSI and UPR numbers on a weekly basis, but do our best to explain how these were calculated, using examples from different sections throughout the season.

If there’s something you’d like from us here at Gridiron New Jersey, please don’t hesitate to reach out.  See something you like?  Let us know.  See something you don’t?  Let us know.  We welcome all questions, comments and suggestions.

Here’s to a great 2019 season!

Jon Fass can be reached by emailing jon@gridironnewjersey.com.