By Tom Szieber
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 12:30 pm
NON-PUBLIC TOP 5
1. Bergen Catholic (8-1, last week #1): Running back Rahmir Johnson rushed for 261 yards and two touchdowns as BC crushed DePaul, 42-7. In two weeks, they’ll face the winner of the Non-Public, Group 4 preliminary round matchup between Seton Hall Prep and Paramus Catholic.
2. St. Joseph (Mont.) (7-2, last week #3): A second quarter 22-yard field goal by Angelo Guglielmello was the go-ahead score in Joe’s 16-7 win over St. Peter’s Prep. They’ll host the Marauders again in two weeks in their Non-Public, Group 4 first round game.
3. St. Peter’s Prep (6-3, last week #2): Maasai Maynor’s 74-yard touchdown pass to tight end Ben Silver was the difference in the Marauders’ loss to St. Joseph (Mont.). They will hope to get some revenge in two weeks after a preliminary round bye.
4. Red Bank Catholic (8-0, last week #4): A late 74-yard run by Kevin Degnan put RBC ahead and the Caseys defeated Middletown North, 38-28. They’ll enjoy a bye in the first round of the Non-Public, Group 3 playoffs before facing the winner of the Pope John-St. John Vianney game.
5. DePaul (6-3, last week #5): Ta’Quan Roberson’s 9-yard scoring pass to slot back Joe Amodeo was DePaul’s only TD in their loss to Bergen Catholic. Bishop Ahr will travel to Wayne to face the Spartans Friday night in the first round of the Non-Public, Group 3 playoffs.
Others Getting Consideration (in alphabetical order): Don Bosco Prep, Mater Dei Prep, St. Joseph (Hamm.)
PUBLIC TOP 15
1. Williamstown (9-0, last week #1): Running back Wade Inge converted a 20-yard touchdown in the Braves’ 14-7 win over St. Augustine Prep. They open the South, Group 5 tournament with a Friday night showdown with Washington Township.
2. Piscataway (8-0; last week #2): Running back Juwon Jackson ripped off four touchdown runs to lead Piscataway past Westfield, 26-0. The top-seeded Chiefs play host to Bridgewater-Raritan when they open the North 2, Group 5 playoffs this Friday.
3. Somerville (8-0; last week #3): Wide out Duke McDuffie caught a 12-yard touchdown and also rushed for a 54-yard score as the Pioneers downed Delaware Valley, 58-27. They’ll be the top seed in Central, Group 3 and host Raritan Friday.
4. Ramapo (9-0; last week #4): Running back Luke Ragone rushed for two scores as the Raiders crushed Randolph, 42-0. They face eighth-seeded Demarest in the opening round of the North 1, Group 3 playoffs.
5. Union City (7-1; last week #7): The Soaring Eagles were granted a forfeit victory over Dickinson. They’ll get back to action as the second seed in North 2, Group 5 Friday when they host Westfield.
6. Phillipsburg (7-1; last week #8): A week after beating Ridge, the Mid-State Conference Delaware Division champs were idle. As the #1 seed in North 2, Group 4, the Stateliners welcome North Hunterdon to town this week.
7. Sayreville (7-1; last week #9): Quarterback Mark Whitford rushed for a three-yard touchdown with 1:33 on the clock to beat South Brunswick, 34-28. Central, Group 5’s top seed hosts #8 Hillsborough this Friday night.
8. Wayne Hills (7-2; last week #10): Running back Adam Abida carried the ball eight times for 146 yards and two touchdowns as Wayne Hills rolled by Indian Hills, 48-17. The Patriots face eighth-seeded Mount Olive in their North 1, Group 4 opener Friday.
9. Haddonfield (8-0, last week #11): Quarterback Jay Foley through three touchdown passes in Haddonfield’s 29-13 victory over Deptford. Haddonfield faces Sterling Friday in the 1 vs. 8 contest in the South, Group 2 tourney.
10. Brick Township (6-2; last week #12): Running back Joe Carchio’s early touchdown was the catalyst for a 49-6 Green Dragons triumph over Lakewood. As the #3 seed in Central, Group 4, They host Jackson in their first round playoff matchup Friday.
11. Paramus (9-0, last week #14): Wide receiver Steven Prado’s 80-yard kick return touchdown and two receiving scores led the way for Paramus as it beat Dwight Morrow, 56-7. The second-seeded Spartans host West Milford in their North 1, Group 3 opener Friday.
13. Middletown South (6-2, last week unranked): Linebackers Troy Burbank and Dylan Walling had late interceptions to help seal the Eagles’ 14-7 win over Rumson-Fair Haven. They host seventh-seeded Northern Burlington Friday in the first round of Central, Group 4 play.
14. River Dell (6-2; last week #15): The Golden Hawks were off this week. Pascack Valley comes to Oradell in Friday’s 3 vs. 6 tilt in North 1, Group 3.
15. Rumson-Fair Haven (6-2; last week #5): Running back Alex Maldjian rushed for a seven-yard TD, but the Bulldogs fell to Middletown South. They’ll look to shake it off quickly when they host Ocean Township in their Central, Group 3 opener Friday night.
Others Getting Consideration (in alphabetical order): Burlington Township, Delsea, Hasbrouck Heights, Highland Regional, Linden, Long Branch, Old Tappan, Ridge, Ridgewood, Union, West Deptford, West Essex
Tom Szieber can be reached by emailing email@example.com.