By Tom Szieber
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 8:00 pm
NON-PUBLIC TOP 5
1. Bergen Catholic (5-1, last week #4): A ten-yard rushing touchdown by RB Anthony Corbin in the fourth capped 24-20 comeback victory over St. Joseph (Mont.). BC plays host to Pope John on Saturday.
2. DePaul (5-1, last week #2): Quarterback Ta’Quan Roberson threw five touchdowns in DePaul’s 52-6 shellacking of Paramus Catholic. They’ll be in Jersey City Saturday to face off with Hudson Catholic.
3. St. Peter’s Prep (4-2, last week #3): Quarterback Maasai Maynor rushed for a three-yard touchdown in overtime to push St. Peter’s past Don Bosco Prep, 26-23. They host Paramus Catholic on Friday.
4. St. Joseph (Mont.) (4-2, last week #1): Angelo Guglielmello nailed 37 and 22-yard field goals in Joe’s loss to Bergen Catholic. They try to right the ship Friday at Don Bosco Prep.
5. Red Bank Catholic (6-0, last week #5): Wide receiver M.J. Wright caught five passes for 85 yards and two touchdowns as Red Bank Catholic defeated Long Branch, 41-14, to win the Shore Conference Freedom Division crown.
Others Getting Consideration (in alphabetical order): Don Bosco Prep, Mater Dei Prep, St. Joseph (Hamm.)
PUBLIC TOP 15
1. Williamstown (5-0, last week #1): Quarterback J.C. Collins accounted for four total touchdowns (3 rush, 1 pass) as Williamstown picked up a 34-3 win over Cherokee. They go on the road to face Washington Township Friday.
2. Piscataway (5-0; last week #2): Punt returner Joey Bellamy took two touchdowns to the house as the Chiefs beat Perth Amboy, 46-6. They host Bridgewater-Raritan Friday night.
3. Somerville (6-0; last week #3): Quarterback Jalahn Dabney generated five total touchdowns (4 pass, 1 rush) as the Pioneers rolled over Cranford, 50-7. They look for a 15th straight win when they host Warren Hills Friday.
4. Ramapo (6-0; last week #4): Wide receiver Max Baker caught three touchdown passes from QB Chris Valvano as Ramapo downed Teaneck, 35-6. They face long-time rival Wayne Hills on the road Friday.
5. Woodrow Wilson (6-0, last week #5): Wide receiver Amari Clark hauled in a 40-yard touchdown pass from QB Nick Kargman to ice an 18-16 comeback victory over Shawnee. The Tigers host Delsea Saturday afternoon.
6. Rumson-Fair Haven (5-0; last week #6): The Bulldogs defense tallied seven sacks in an impressive 13-0 shutout victory over Brick Township. They travel to take on Lakewood Saturday afternoon.
7. Wayne Hills (5-1; last week #7): Wide out Charles Njoku caught seven balls for 153 yards and three scores as the Patriots defeated Passaic Valley, 45-12. Up next for Wayne Hills is a date with Ramapo at home Friday.
8. Sayreville (5-0; last week #8): Quarterback Mark Whitford hit RB Jacari Carter on an 18-yard touchdown pass as time expired to give the Bombers a 13-12 win over Edison and the GMC White Division title. They’ll be on the road Friday to do battle with Old Bridge.
9. Union (5-1; last week #9): Quarterback Andrew Sandborn piled up 254 all-purpose yards as the Farmers took down Westfield, 21-7. They’ll be in Flemington Friday when they face Hunterdon Central.
10. Union City (4-1; last week #11): After a big win over Bayonne, the Soaring Eagles were idle. They get back to action with a long road trip to Medford to face Shawnee Friday night.
11. Phillipsburg (5-1; last week #12): Quarterback Jack Stagaard went 13-of-16 for 268 yards and three touchdowns as the Stateliners bested Hillsborough, 56-6. They host Westfield in their next game Friday.
12. River Dell (5-1; last week #13): The Golden Hawks broke the 35-point barrier for the fourth time in six games, beating Dwight Morrow, 52-7. They look for a second-straight win when they host Pascack Valley Friday.
13. South Brunswick (4-2; last week #14): The Vikings bounced back from a 27-14 loss to Union with a 27-14 win over East Brunswick. They face St. Joseph (Met.) at home Friday.
14. Haddonfield (6-0, last week #15): Quarterback Jay Foley went 9-of-14 for 151 yards and two touchdowns as Haddonfield took down West Deptford, 27-21. They enjoy a bye this week before a road meeting with Collingswood on Oct. 19.
15. Brick Township (3-2; last week #10): DBs Jimmy Leblo and Shane Williams each had a pick but the Green Dragons fell to Rumson Fair-Haven. They try to stay above .500 when they host Lacey Friday.
Others Getting Consideration (in alphabetical order): Clifton, Elizabeth, Highland Regional, Linden, Long Branch, Old Tappan, Paramus, West Deptford
Tom Szieber can be reached by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.