Vita Athletics - Gridiron New Jersey Top 20
By Tom Szieber
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 10:00 am
NON-PUBLIC TOP 5
1. Bergen Catholic (2-0): Quarterback Andrew Boel rushed for two touchdowns and threw for another as BC avenged last year’s loss to Archbishop Wood (PA), 21-7. They take on #3 St. Peter’s Prep in their first divisional game of the year Friday in Jersey City.
2. DePaul (2-0): Quarterback Ta’Quan Roberson’s five total touchdowns and 288 yards of total offense spurred DePaul’s 49-3 win over Seton Hall Prep. They welcome rival #4 St. Joseph (Mont.) to town on Friday.
3. St. Peter’s Prep (1-1): Despite leading by 14 at the start of the fourth quarter, the Marauders allowed three unanswered scores and lost, 35-27 to St. Joseph’s Prep (PA). They’ll try to get back on track in a tall test against #1 Bergen Catholic Friday night.
4. St. Joseph (Mont.) (1-1): Joe’s defense picked off Imhotep Charter QB three times as the Green Knights got back to .500, 14-8. They head to Wayne Friday to take on a #2 DePaul team that is running on all cylinders.
5. Red Bank Catholic (2-0): Cornerback M.J. Wright’s 46-yard interception return for a touchdown helped propel RBC to a 40-7 victory over Ocean Township. They play host to Toms River South Friday.
Others Getting Consideration (in alphabetical order): Don Bosco Prep, Mater Dei Prep, St. Joseph (Hamm.)
PUBLIC TOP 15
1. Williamstown (2-0): The Braves defense held a good Rancocas Valley squad to 95 yards of total offense in a 17-6 triumph. They have a chance to put Millville in an 0-3 hole when the teams meet Friday night in Williamstown.
2. Piscataway (1-0): Linebacker Nick Recine had two sacks and a fumble recovery in the Chiefs’ 41-0 shutout victory over East Brunswick. They have a huge matchup this Friday, taking on GMC Red rival #12 South Brunswick at home.
3. Somerville (2-0): Quarterback Jalahn Dabney rushed for four touchdowns to go along with 312 yards to lead the Pioneers past Rahway, 42-31. They play host to North Plainfield Friday night.
4. Ramapo (2-0): Quarterback A.J. Wingfield’s 158 yards and three touchdowns helped the Raiders roll to a 49-0 victory over Bergenfield. They face Northern Highlands at home Friday.
5. Phillipsburg (2-0): Quarterback Jack Stagaard went 10-of-16 passes for 221 yards and three touchdowns as Phillipsburg crushed Franklin, 49-0. They’re all set for a sectional final rematch with Hunterdon Central Friday night in Flemington.
6. Woodrow Wilson (2-0): Quarterback Nick Kargman threw an eye-popping eight touchdown passes in the Tigers’ 62-6 win over Camden Catholic. They will cross state lines to take on Frankford (PA) Saturday afternoon.
7. Old Tappan (2-0): Wide receiver Johnny Lohrer had eight catches for 112 yards and scored three total touchdowns (2 rushing, 1 receiving) as Old Tappan downed Ridgewood, 27-13. They go on the road to play Wayne Hills Friday night.
8. Brick Township (1-0): Wide receiver Jimmy Leblo rushed for 93 yards and a score in Brick Township’s 30-7 victory over Brick Memorial. They travel to Holmdel this week to meet a St. John Vianney squad looking for its first win.
9. Sayreville (1-0): Quarterback Mark Whitford went 16-of-21 for 163 yards two touchdowns, leading the Bombers to a 34-14 win over North Brunswick. They take on Woodbridge on the Road Friday.
10. Delsea (1-0): Running back/linebacker Aidan Borguet scored on a fumble return in Delsea’s 21-6 win over Willingboro. Next up is a Friday road trip to meet West Deptford.
11. River Dell (2-0): The River Dell defense snagged two interceptions and limited Parsippany Hills running back Dominick Verducci to just 22 yards on the ground. They play host to Demarest Friday.
12. South Brunswick (2-0): Quarterback Gage Katzenell-Hall connected on three touchdown passes to three different receivers in a 28-0 Vikings win over Old Bridge. They’ll visit #2 Piscataway for a date with the Chiefs Friday.
13. Union City (2-0): Running back Jean Alvarez had 24 carries for 128 yards and a touchdown as the Soaring Eagles ran past Irvington, 34-10. They head to West New York to battle Memorial Thursday night.
14. Elizabeth (2-0): Running back Javon Wactor and quarterback LeShane Taylor combined for 373 rushing yards as Elizabeth handled Union, 28-14. Friday they will host Linden, who is coming off a shocking win over Westfield.
15. Timber Creek (1-1): A week after throwing for 143 yards in a shutout loss, quarterback Justin Jefferson threw for 352 yards and four touchdowns in a 28-7 win over Hammonton. They will be off for a week before a road matchup with Vineland.
Others Getting Consideration (in alphabetical order): Haddonfield, Long Branch, Rumson-Fair Haven, Rutherford, Shawnee
Tom Szieber can be reached by emailing email@example.com.